In my last post (Pay Per Click Agency v In House Debate Part 1) I mentioned that there are advantages and disadvantages to managing your PPC campaign in house and hiring a pay per click agency to manage them. Ultimately I believe it is the people who are managing your campaigns that matter, regardless of whether they’re from an agency or your in house teams. However, here are some advantages to both approaches to PPC management.
Advantages to hiring a PPC agency:
- An agency is likely to have the experience of working on many campaigns. This experience can be invaluable in ensuring the success of your campaigns, because, using established techniques can help your ROI in a shorter period of time.
- Furthermore an agency is likely to be experienced at handling a number of campaigns at once, which can benefit your business if you wish to promote multiple brands at the same time.
- Employing someone full time to manage your campaigns in house means paying them a full time salary. Hiring an agency can often be the cheaper option.
- Digital marketing agencies can often offer multi-channel marketing so they can manage your PPC, alongside your SEO, social media and email marketing. This approach can help save time and money because managing all your marketing activities.
- Due to the fact that you are “hiring” an agency, it is in their best interests to deliver the best possible service, because they will be (or they should be!) well aware that if they don’t deliver you can easily move your campaigns elsewhere.
Advantages to managing PPC campaigns in house:
- Your employees are the best placed to fully understand your business goals. Some bosses don’t like to use certain words such as “cheap”. Your employees will know not to use these words, so saving annoying the boss.
- In addition to their knowledge of your business goals, your employees are best placed to cover every angle relating to your products and services. Plus, if their performance is based on the performance of your campaigns they’ll be eager to maximise your PPC results.
- Employing someone full time means they’ll be dedicating their attention to just your campaigns. An agency account manager often has multiple clients to look after.
As with most things there are advantages to both approaches to PPC management and ultimately what is best for your business is down to the personal preferences of the decision makers. The results will determine whether the approach you choose is working and if one doesn’t work it is very easy to try the other.